This beautiful byzantine Tower dates back to 18th century, and is regarded as an historical monument. Estimation is that it was built @ 1795. It was initially owned by Capt Christeas who fought in the 1821 revolution at the battle for Kalamata, amongst others. It has been written that at some point it was also the home of the famous Greek cannon “Kopsaheila”.
The property comprises of a main living area, with lounge and kitchen/dining room, and the Tower houses 2 large double bedrooms and a bathroom today. Below both of these buildings are a network of kamara's which have not yet been developed. A potential design solution for this property would be the creation of two separate living areas, having a 2 bedroomed, 2 bathroomed house with lounge and kitchen dining area in the courtyard house, and the Tower being converted to a 2 bed/2 bath dwelling with new bathroom and kitchen/dining area on the ground floor. Between the Tower and the main house is a large balcony , perfect for outdoor dining and entertaining.
Entry to the Tower is via a 'drawbridge' type walkway, which in past years could be raised for defense purposes. A beautifully built stone staircase winds down from this entry point into the courtyard below and the gate of the walled garden area. To the front of the property is a small plot, which can be walled and where either a garden or private parking area can be created.
A 2 minute walk from the property brings you to the sea and the traditional, unspoilt fishing harbour of the village of Agios Dimitrios. A short drive or bicycle ride down the coast brings you to the larger fishing village of Agios Nikolaos, with its many cafes, tavernas and supermarket. There is also a medical clinic here.
Located in the village of Agios Dimitrios, which is referred to in greek mythology as ancient “Pefnos” , this is where Zeus (in the form of a swan) supposedly laid with Ledra and from this union was born Helen of Troy, and Castor and Pollux (half brothers -known as Dioskuri). Views from the Tower look out to the islet, on which sits the Egg Sculpture commemorating this piece of Greek mythology, and around the beautiful harbour area of Agios Dimitrios, as well as the surrounding villages and hillsides of the Mani. Any restoration works would qualify for a 75% grant , as the property is listed in the register of “buildings of historical importance”. Any external works would need permitting by the archaeological dept of Greece.
The pricing of this property reflects the historical importance of this monument and its place in Greek history and the opportunity for private ownership of this unique buidling. Any potential new owners of the Tower would be assumed to be purchasing to preserve and restore and will need to demonstrate that sufficient funding is available to deliver on this committment prior to progressing any sale.